HMRC is building a modern, digital tax administration and runs the biggest digital operation in Government, providing digital services for 45 million individuals and 4.9 million business customers. Our digital programme is multi-award winning and the envy of other government organisations.
Here in Chief Digital & Information Group Office (CDIO) we set the technology direction for HMRC and deliver the high-level design for all IT solutions.
We build and run HMRC IT services along with providing change and operational support and are increasingly delivering in-house through our growing network of digital delivery centres – hi-tech, state-of-the-art facilities across the UK.
We are undergoing a major transformation programme, which includes a major investment in digitisation. This means customers can do more for themselves online, in real time, on computers, tablets and smartphones therefore we are establishing a team of outstanding people who will build and run these new and improved technology services.
This is an exciting time to join an organisation that probably doesn’t work how you’d envisage a government organisation would.
A Senior DevOps Engineer is responsible for underpinning good development processes including managing tools and testing environments, central code control, maintaining development standards and writing software that automates systems.
You will work closely with other technical teams in developing and deploying code enabling the rapid delivery to live of new and enhanced solutions and their ongoing support and maintenance.
The role also provides the opportunity to line manage a small team and you will provide people-care management for team members, including hiring, setting and monitoring of annual performance plans, coaching and career development.
As the ideal candidate you will be a self-motivated individual that possesses excellent time management and interpersonal skills with a strong sense of personal responsibility and accountability for delivering high quality work, both personally and at a team level.
You will already have a good understanding of the development lifecycle and software testing along with a detailed knowledge of information systems development processes and network.
• Help the team build and maintain deployment pipelines using CI/CD tools.
• Use coding languages or scripting methodologies to solve a problem with a custom workflow.
• Handle, advance and resolve delivery impediments, risks, issues with key partners.
• Perform routine application maintenance to ensure the production environment runs efficiently. Develops maintenance requirements and procedures.
• Collaborate with others on the project to brainstorm about the best way to resolve a technological infrastructure, security, or development problem.
• Perform incremental testing actions on code, processes, and deployments to identify ways to streamline execution and minimize errors encountered.
• Mentoring less experienced team members and sharing technical knowledge and standard methodology.
• Improving knowledge management including documentation standards.
• Resolving conflict by demonstrating strong leadership and appropriate decision-making skills.
• Development of standards and processes for operations that proactively prevent problems from occurring.
You will already have experience and knowledge of:
• DevOps tools like Jenkins, Puppet, Artifactory, etc
• Programming in one of these languages: Unix/Linux shell scripting, Ansible, C.
• Automation/configuration management using Ansible, Jenkins.
• Building and maintaining deployment pipelines using CI/CD tools
• Containers based infrastructure such as Docker, virtualization and/or cloud technologies (Kubernetes, Google Cloud)
• Cloud Platforms (AWS, Azure) and virtualization Technologies (Hyper-V, OpenStack).
• Using some or all the following DevOps tools/Languages, Git, Artifactory, Jenkins, Jira and Confluence.
• Communicating at all levels using excellent written and verbal skills
Ideally you will also have experience of:
• Strategic planning and Project management
• Risk and Change management
• People management
It is expected that the successful applicant, once suitable to do so, may be required to be on call for which there is the appropriate additional remuneration of an on call allowance and call outs but will not be entitled to Additional attendance allowance at this level.
Candidates will either have SC level security clearance or be willing to undertake such.
• Learning and development tailored to your role
• An environment with flexible working options
• A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
• A Civil Service pension
Apply before 11:55 pm on Tuesday 9th March 2021
When applying for a job, do not provide bank account details or any other financial information. Never make any form of payment. WhatJobs is not responsible for any external website content. Report this job