Senior Software Developer - StoA replacements
Senior Software Developer - Content Acquisition
We’re looking for a Senior Software Developer with several years of experience who can help us build a top-quality workflow system for researchers, editors, reviewers and internal editorial teams for high volume, open-access content acquisition.
The job is based in London, where you will join a team of co-located software developers as part of Springer Nature’s digital product development team. You’ll be part of our bigger community of developers located in Germany, UK and India.
Visit to learn more about who we are and what we do.
We are looking for skilled and passionate Senior Software Developers to help us enable the research community to advance the progress and understanding of science.
We need Senior Software Developers to work in the team responsible for products that support the submission of manuscripts via review and quality control gates right through to final publication.
We strive to continually improve user journeys; allowing customers to discover, access, and consume content in a way that suits them. Our customer-centric approach is fundamental to the way we work.
We also work closely with our editorial teams both in London and India, have focus groups with external editorial board members and report to a senior level programme board. It’s a high profile programme of work and we are constantly working to evolve our content and business models; keeping us competitive in a rapidly changing digital landscape.
You will be joining a cross functional delivery team with different nationalities, backgrounds and experience levels. All team members collaborate to deliver solutions that best satisfy the needs of our business and we are working to create a culture that encourages new ideas and innovation, but within the boundaries of the technologies that best suit the vision that Springer Nature has defined.
You have several years of experience of Software Development.
You enjoy mentoring and supporting other developers.
You like working in a collaborative team, where there is collective ownership of the product.
You enjoy getting involved with every stage of the software development lifecycle.
You understand the benefits of Test Driven Development and automation.
You are comfortable pair programming and working in a trunk-based development environment; practicing Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery.
You see the value in developers owning production software and view failure as a chance to learn.
What you will be doing
Within 3 Months you will:
- Get familiar with our technology stack. Most of our web applications are built in Kotlin using http4k (prior expereince with Kotlin is not essential). We also have some applications in nodejs. Our applications are deployed to CloudFoundry using Concourse.
- Take part in developing new features as a member of the tech team.
- Get familiar with, and take part in, the team’s agile processes and ceremonies.
- Participate in user research to better understand our customers’ needs.
By 3-6 months you will:
- Be a supportive member of the tech team, developing the platform by using the appropriate technology solutions to solve the problem at hand.
- Mentor team members
- Have an understanding of the team’s context within the publishing business they are working in.
- Be able to understand and discuss business requirements with stakeholders and Product Owners.
- Take part in the recruiting process, helping to assess applicants.
- Hold technical discussions with the team in order to improve the product architecture and code quality.
By 6-12 months you will:
- Onboard new members to the team or help other teams on the onboarding process.
- Transform high level requirements into actionable work.
- Proactively provide useful and actionable feedback to team members.
- Become an advocate for defining and implementing non-functional requirements.
- Influence the design of the system architecture.
- Be able to explain and visualize the benefits and trade-offs of proposed solutions.
- Triage support queries and diagnose issues in the live applications.
- Contribute to blameless post-mortems.
- Understand our customers’ needs, both internal and external, and how your work affects their experience.
Day to day responsibilities
As part of an Agile product team, day-to-day you will:
- Take part in our Slack/face to face daily stand-ups.
- Contribute to ceremonies like planning, story writing, collaborative design and retrospectives.
- Develop new features and improve code quality by pair programming with other team members.
- Take part in support and monitoring of our websites.
To apply please upload a copy of your CV and covering letter, stating your salary expectations.
Please inform your manager if you are an internal candidate making an application for this role.
At Springer Nature we value and celebrate the diversity of our people. We recognise the many benefits of a diverse workforce and strive for an inclusive workplace that empowers all our colleagues to thrive. Our search for the best talent fully encompasses and embraces these values and principles.
When applying for a job, do not provide bank account details or any other financial information. Never make any form of payment. WhatJobs is not responsible for any external website content. Report this job