Bioinformatics\/comp bio. Diagnostics company, nr Southampton. PCR, COVID screening, python, sequencing data
Your new company
You will be joining a rapidly expanding molecular diagnostics company who are not only one of the leaders in the field of clinical diagnostics but also playing a vital role in the detection of COVID-19 through mass testing.
This company uses PCR based assay devices to identify a range of diseases\/infections and are building their portfolio through collaborations with a variety of pharmaceutical and healthcare companies, providing lots of opportunity for career development and advancement.
Your new role
You will be joining the R&D department, supporting the development of PCR-based assays to detect diseases and pathogens and providing analysis of viral sequencing data. As part of a growing team you'll have plenty of opportunity to make a difference across the R&D lifecycle.
This is a hands-on role, providing technical consultancy to the wet lab teams as a computational biologist, and helping shape research strategy and direction as well as product development.
The role is initially a 6-month contract, with the possibility of extension or potentially a permanent job afterwards.
Main responsibilities will include (but are not limited to):
* Analysis & interpretation of biological data, eg for development studies and to support wet-lab colleagues on assay design & development
* Developing and helping verify new products
* Supporting primer \/ probe design, eg for qPCR based assays
* Data curation and data mining of sequencing data from sources including public databases
* Writing scripts in python
* Working closely with internal stakeholders and sometimes external clients on data analysis approaches & interpretation
* Project leadership, including setting timelines and reporting end results to the business
For more senior candidates, there are opportunities to take on more of a leadership role with a greater input into research strategy
What you'll need to succeed
As well as strong communication and organisational skills you should have:
* An MSc (or equivalent experience) in bioinformatics, biology, genomics or similar, with a higher degree (ie PhD) preferred but not essential
* Good experience of data wrangling and handling, especially from large databases or repositories. Ideally this should be from sequencing data sets
* Programming\/scripting skills with R, Perl, python, Bash or a similar language, on top of experience with sequence analysis or alignment tools (eg BLAST, FASTA, BWA, Bowtie, etc)
* The ability to work closely with multi-disciplinary teams
Experience in the following would be an advantage (but is not essential):
* Carrying out or designing comparative genomics studies
* The design & validation of genotyping assays
* Working for a pharmaceutical, biotech, medical device or diagnostics company
* Experience of developing, designing or validating primers \/ probes for assays
What you'll get in return
You'll have the chance to directly impact COVID-19 testing work and make a significant impact on the development of new products and approaches to detect an array of diseases.
There's also a good daily\/hourly rate on offer and the company has a great working atmosphere.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call me on 0333 010 6317.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career, especially as there are a number of other bioinformatics, data science and statistics positions available.
Keywords: bioinformatics, bioinformatician, data, science, statistics, statistical, biomarker, discovery, genetics, genomics, NGS, PCR, COVID, sequence, biomarker, machine, learning, programmer, programming, scientist, diagnostics, molecular, python, R, C, Bash, medical, device, solution, architect, developer, automation, IVD, platform, project, manager, developer, tool, pipeline, computational, computer, oncology