Your new employer
This prestigious international legal services business based in central Bristol is looking for an experienced Professional Indemnity Technical Claims Handler. The firm is modern, friendly and supportive and spans a wide range of industry sectors with clients ranging from large multinationals to growth UK corporate firms and other professional practices, including many household names.
Your new role
The Claims Handling team adjusts claims made against professionals on behalf of leading insurers, acting under delegated authority levels for pre-litigated matters from first notification of loss to resolution. The claims are varied, arising out of every aspect of a professional's practice, and as such they require a rigorous and accurate assessment of cover, liability and quantum. The team continues to manage claims that fall outside of the delegated authority as an agent of the insurer, reviewing and managing panel appointment and reporting.
Working with the Head of Claims and other team members, you will be responsible for a technical caseload of varied professional indemnity claims, ensuring the delivery of a first class claims experience to policyholders and accurate reporting to Insurers. You will be able to identify gaps in information and investigate notifications effectively protecting the insurer and the insured's position. You will be delivering a service that ensures that the Insured and broker are advised and guided towards the appropriate outcome. Investigation and identification of strategy to resolve matters will be essential, taking into account the cost benefit analysis and commercial background. You will also have the opportunity to work collaboratively with other Claims Handlers and Managers in training and coaching other team members.
Key responsibilities Day to day duties are likely to include:
* Running a full caseload of professional indemnity claims, having an accurate understanding of the delegated authority principles and reporting requirements on all matters falling outside of the delegated authority with minimal supervision, being able to make strategic decisions in Insurers' best interests. Supporting the manager(s) in respect of supervision, identification of training need and delivery of desk-side and group training to team members.
* Ensuring that quality assurance standards are achieved and procedures are adhered to.
* Providing excellent customer service at all times, contributing to being a market leading claims function.
* Building and maintaining effective working relationships with all customers and suppliers to ensure defined service levels are met and exceeded.
* Understanding the importance of Service Level Agreements and Key Performance Indicators of the team and supporting managers' ensuring adherence to these standards.
* Ensuring a consistent approach to client claims and implementing Insurers' reserving policies, so that claims are dealt with fairly and costs are properly controlled, supported by the use of the most appropriate approved external suppliers.
* Investigation and identification of an Insured's exposure to claims, identifying and obtaining information relevant to liability and quantum and providing guidance and assistance to the Insured in response to complaints and claims, including approving settlement offers.
* Negotiating settlement of claims within the delegated authority.
* Investigating and reporting to Insurers on policy cover and response.
* Actively managing panel solicitors as agent for Insurers, including reporting where claims fall outside the delegated authority.
This role will be based in Bristol however the firm also have an excellent remote working policy. Travel to the London office may be required from time to time.
What you'll need to be successful
You should have significant claims handling experience, preferably within professional indemnity however other areas will also be considered. You will have a law degree or might be working towards ACII, CILEx or equivalent legal qualification, or alternatively significant experience in claims with technical knowledge and expertise. You will also have strong communication skills, both orally and in writing, and excellent customer service skills, with the ability to deal with difficult or demanding situations and clients and a thorough understanding of relevant legislation and legal frameworks and the importance of compliance. A good working knowledge of law firm operations and pressures; understanding the need for efficient, timely, cost-effective support and previous experience of working with a case management system would also be desirable.
What you'll get in return
In addition to offering a very competitive salary, the firm currently offers a variety of benefits such as 25 days annual leave with the option to buy or sell more, Death in Service benefit, Group Personal Pension, Discretionary bonuses, subsidised restaurant and coffee bar, childcare voucher scheme, Ride to Work scheme, Gymflex, Eye Tests, Employee Assistance programme, Health screenings and Yoga to name but a few.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, contact Harriet Chapman at Hays Legal for further information. If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.
- Company Name
- Job Location
- South West
- United Kingdom